How Assisted Living Can Help
Everyone uses tools in their day-to-day lives. Sometimes it’s a kitchen utensil to help make homemade treats; other times it might be a carpenter’s level to ensure the correct position. Other tools or services help us accomplish daily tasks so we can continue to live fulfilled and active lives.
Often the term “assisted living” strikes fear in the heart of an older adult. Rather than viewing the convenient services as a tool to live more fully, it may be perceived as a negative.
But take another look at the handy services included in assisted living. Most people would welcome the opportunity to have the convenience:
- Hot, delicious meals you don’t have to prepare and served family style with friends around the table
- A friendly person that not only takes time for a chat, but helps with the housekeeping every week
- Handy transportation to medical appointments, so even in winter, you don’t have to clear the snow off your driveway, scrape the windows and warm up your car
- A friendly community that invites you to participate in activities, geared for your preferences and interests
- Assistance with sorting through confusing medications, ensuring that you’re getting the right medications prescribed by your physician at the right times
A senior’s decision to try assisted living often comes when his or her children notice that the elder is declining, often from a combination of issues. Sometimes the children or a neighbor will notice that the senior is not eating well; may not be taking their medications properly; forgetting important things that they would usually remember; or being isolated which can lead to loneliness and depression.
Instead of resisting the idea of using the handy tools and services of an assisted living facility, take some time to visit, to discuss the options available and see if the convenient services are the best choice for an older adult. You might be surprised at how fun life can be again when you have the right tools available.
To learn more about assisted living options at Elim Care, call (952)259-4500.